Have Miraculous Spiritual Gifts Ceased?
by David Padfield
The Means Of Obtaining Spiritual Gifts Has Ceased
- Holy Spirit Baptism (Acts 2; 10).
- The laying on of the Apostles hands (Acts 8:18).
The Purpose Of Miracles Has Ceased
- Revelation of God's Word (John 14:26; 16:13).
- Confirmation of the Word (Mark 16:20; Heb 2:3; Jude 3).
"Miracles" Of Today Are Not Like New Testament Miracles
- Jesus could heal "every sickness and every disease" (Matthew 4:24; 9:35; 8:6; 14:34-35), but modern "Faith Healers" just make big claims about what they can do while never actually healing anyone of a known disease.
- The only time men of God ever failed when attempting a miracle was in (Matthew 17:14-21), and in this case, the Lord blamed His disciples, not the person who was sick!
The New Testament Said They Would Cease
- "Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away" (1 Cor. 13:8-10).
- "That which is perfect" (i.e., the completed New Testament) has been revealed; therefore, "that which is in part" (i.e., spiritual gifts) have ceased.
The McPherson-Bogard Debate on Miraculous Divine Healing (May 22, 1934). Ben Bogard was the greatest Baptist debater of all time. In 1934 Bogard debated Amie Semple McPherson, founder of the Foursquare Gospel Church, on the subject of miraculous divine healing (PDF file size: 213k).